Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Is good spelling a waste of time, or a waist of thyme?



Day At The Races Dress- Black
I can never buy this dress.

Man oh man. We are are either getting dumber or lazier, not sure which. Tooling around on a fun fashion site, I clicked on a link that took me to a sentence containing two consecutive Autocorrect problems that no editor checked/caught/knew enough to spot--read it and weep, and try to ignore the unnecessary comma:

"Day At The Races Dress- Black 
We love the fit of this dress! So classic, and cute! The synched waste is sure to show off the best parts of you!"               
 I am grateful that I was born a great speller. Got a word that needs spelling? I'm your go-to. (Except "occurance" or "occurence" or "occurrance" or "occurrence"--only one of these is right* and I truly didn't know without the little spell check feature on this bloggy.) But I know that spelling is not a function of intelligence. HOWEVER, good publishing demands that someone spend some time editing and checking, lest embarrassing moments happen to otherwise good writers:
That's one laep forward, two laeps back
Mr. Rogers wants you to be his neighhobor
Hey, aren't we supposed to be creative?






















*The last occurrence is correct. It was the last one I typed and I truly was surprised. (Every time.)

1 comment:

  1. Ferrets, hamsters, mice, and birds are as likely to trigger an allergic reaction. Keep this in mind as you shop for your next pet.play bazaar satta king

    ReplyDelete