Saturday, November 19, 2016

"Now you are the student, and I am the master..." -Darth Vader

My favorite masked heavy breather perfectly describes a First Day of School I had a few years ago.

From day one I try to establish an open, trusting environment; my goal is to help each student view herself or himself as "gifted and talented" (although not necessarily the kind that comes with a high IQ). 

As students are filling out their first day info cards, one of the questions is "What is something you are good at?"  I explain that we are all good at something--some of us never lose friends; others can cook for a large family; others can sleep through a tornado; some can burp the alphabet. I tell them they aren't allowed to write "I don't know," but to look for abilities that may be overlooked. That year, I said, "Now me? I may be the slowest runner in the land and I can't do the Dougie [that year's current popular dance]. But I can beat you in Scrabble, all day long!" And so forth. 


Sooooo after the final bell of the final class rang, instead of darting out the door to check their phones, one girl smilingly approached me.

"Miss Munnelly, I'm D. You teach people all day, and now it's time for someone to teach YOU. I am going to teach you how to Dougie!"

And she did.

Best first day ever.

5 comments:

  1. Most plans are very specific about which doctors you can use, and the lowest cost options may not include your favorite physicians.satta king play bazaar

    satta king play bazaar

    ReplyDelete

  2. Touching your face with your bare hands is poor skin care practice. Unless you just washed them, your fingers are loaded with dirt and skin oil that will transfer to your face. These contaminants can block pores, cause infections and make any existing skin conditions worse. Resist any and all temptations to touch or rub your face. Play Bazaar satta king

    ReplyDelete
  3. satta king This can prevent many injuries via warming up the muscles before they are asked to lift a heavy load.

    ReplyDelete
  4. play bazaar

    satta kingInjection therapy is also widely considered a safe alternative to the invasive surgical solutions available for wrinkle reduction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! thanks for sharing this post. I was very worried about my essay and even looking for a service from which I can Buy Compare And Contrast Essay at an affordable price when I landed on your site. I know it is not useful to me for now, but I must say, it reminds me of my childhood when I always used to buy these stones and play with them. Although, these stones were favourite toys for me and my brother.

    ReplyDelete